September 25, 2013. 130-minute dharma talk given by Thich Nhat Hanh from Magnolia Grove Monastery in Batesville, Mississippi during the 2013 Nourishing Great Togetherness teaching tour. This is the first dharma talk for the 6-day retreat with the theme Healing Ourselves, Healing the World. We begin with two chants from the monastics.
We bring our mind and body together and come back to ourselves in order to be truly there and be able to stop our thinking. We can get lost in our thinking. When we are mindful and concentrated of our in breath them our mind only has one object. Just breathing in mindfully we can get freedom from the past l, the future, and our projects. Freedom is possible and the healing can start.
- Conditions of happiness
- Habit of running after fame, power, wealth, sensual pleasures
- Deep looking – insight can release the tension and bring healing
- Mindfulness is a method to insight using our in breath and out breath
- Inviting our ancestors to listen to the bell and practice walking meditation with you.
- Our presence is the most precious gift for those we love – to be there is a practice.
- Freshness, beauty
- Mountain, solid
- Space, free
- Sutra on Full Awareness of Breathing
- Four domains – body, feelings, mind, objects of mind
- First 8 exercise
- Sangha – collective energy
- You are not one emotion
- The art of happiness and the art of suffering
- Happiness and suffering interare
- Happiness is made of non-happiness elements
- The Four Noble Truths
- The Four Kinds of Nutriments