This is a short message from your editor and host. It has been a month since our last dharma talk post and over two months since Thay has shared a dharma talk with the sangha. This is a short update to let you know that Thay did talk at the Francophone Educators Retreat earlier this week and if the talk becomes available, then it will be posted here.
In the meantime, please support our efforts by visiting http://patreon.com/plumvillage. For as little as $1 per dharma talk, you can show your ongoing support. The donations are always in your control. You can limit the total per month and a total per dharma talk. This helps to pay for our internet services, hosting and equipment for bringing the talks to you.
Thank you for the comments, support, and most especially for your practice.
Podcast: Download (Duration: 2:02 — 1.9MB)
This is the second dharma talk of the “The Mind of Love Transforms All Difficulties” retreat with Thich Nhat Hanh at the New Hamlet of Plum Village in France. The talk is given in English with simultaneous translation into Italian. In this very short talk on August 29, 2014, Thay teaches on the elements of love and the four mantras. Both the audio and the video are available below.
Mind of love – bodhicitta. Why not the heart? Bodhi is to wake up. It begins with understanding the suffering in ourselves and then we can begin to see the suffering in the other person. Then we can help him or her to suffer less. What is love? Love me to be there. The practice of mindful breathing and mindful walking can help us to be there for ourselves and for our loved ones. What are the elements of true presence? Am I a true lover? You can answer this question yourself by looking to see if you have these four elements.
The four mantras of Plum Village.
Podcast: Download (Duration: 32:40 — 29.9MB)
This is the first dharma talk of the The Mind of Love Transforms All Difficulties retreat with Thich Nhat Hanh at the Upper Hamlet of Plum Village in France. The talk is given in English with simultaneous translation into Italian. In this short talk (30-minutes) on August 28, 2014, Thay teaches on the mind of love of the relationship between suffering and happiness followed by chanting with the monks and nuns. Both the audio and the video are available below.
The mind of love is a tremendous source of energy. Can we look inside and recognize the mind of love? What is it? What is our deepest desire? To relieve the suffering in the world is a good desire. And understanding is the foundation of love.
How can we wake up to be a Buddha? We have to wake up in order to help others who are suffering. To wake up to the beauties of nature and heal yourself. And to wake up to the suffering of the world and to help. That is the career of the Buddha.
The art of happiness and the art of suffering. What is the connection between happiness and suffering? The practice of mindfulness. How do we help the other person to suffer less?
Who is Avaloketeshvara?
Podcast: Download (Duration: 51:43 — 47.4MB)
This is the fourth and final dharma talk of the “Understanding Is Love” retreat with Thich Nhat Hanh at the European Institute of Applied Buddhism in Waldbrol, Germany. The talk is given in English with simultaneous translation into Dutch. In this talk on August 24, 2014, Thay teaches on birth and death. Both the audio and the video are available below.
- Homework for the children. Seed of corn. A teaching on birth and death.
- What happens when you die? Why meditate on death?
- Our cosmic body
- Interbeing of birth and death
- Two levels of truth: Conventional and Ultimate
- Right View. Transcends being and non/being, birth/death.
- God is the Ultimate
- Teaching of the Flame. Birth and death.
- Teachings on The Three Recollections, the Six Sense Organs, and No Coming, No Going as given to Anathapindika on his deathbed
Podcast: Download (Duration: 1:20:29 — 73.7MB)
This is a session of questions and answers on August 23, 2014 from the Understanding Is Love Retreat with Thich Nhat Hanh at the European Institute of Applied Buddhism in Waldbrol, Germany. The questions and answers are given in both English and Dutch. We start with a series of questions from children followed by teens and adults. Both the audio and the video are available below.
Children and Teens
- Do you know a better way to choose and to get rid of my doubts?
- What does your name mean and do you have a sign to represent your name?
- What should you do when you are really worried about something?
- What does Thay love most about Buddhism?
- Why did you become a Buddhist?
- I would like to inspire my friends. How do I do this? How did you gain so much confidence?
- I am confused about the word compassion. How can I be compassionate without suffering and still remain sensitive?
- I have a question about a problem in my family. I have anger towards my brother but also wants to have compassion and take care of herself.
- A question about attachment and letting go.
- A question about self love and acceptance.
- How do help someone who feels no connection to her ancestors and the world. She has shard that wants to end her life numerous times.
- Continuing to reconcile with my mother who is an alcoholic and sex addict.
- Non duality. Can you explain more about watering positive and negative seeds.
- Written question on sexuality and the Third Mindfulness Training. Isn’t it to strict? Does it really need a “long term commitment”?
- Right Livelihood and True Love. The livelihoods I love requires lots of time. How can we maintain True Love for ourselves, families, etc?
Podcast: Download (Duration: 1:17:39 — 71.1MB)